For those who have been negotiating with insurance companies, this might not surprise you: Delay. Deny. Defend. That’s the mantra of insurance companies when they negotiate a claim.
Simply put, an auto insurance company’s main objective is not compensating you, even if you have documented injuries stemming from a car wreck. In fact, many auto insurance companies often try to avoid paying out anything on personal injury claims.
With that in mind, it is not in your best interest to talk to an insurance claims adjuster without an attorney in an attempt to try and negotiate your claim. You need to do everything possible to avoid becoming a victim of the insurance company game (i.e. delay, deny, defend).
In the days and weeks following the car accident, the auto insurance game typically goes something like this:
- Your car was totaled in the crash, but the insurance company delays getting you a rental car.
- The insurance company delays weeks of admitting the other driver was at fault for the crash.
- Denying that you can prove lost wages stemming from the collision
- Arguing that you “over-treated” for your injuries
The insurance company employs these tactics to make the process so difficult and draining that you may give up on pursuing compensation or accept a low-ball settlement offer. This is why, if you are seriously hurt in a car accident, it’s a good idea to speak to an experienced Bellingham car accident lawyer. Why? Because a lawyer takes the burden off your shoulders. They deal with the insurance company on your behalf. They have the muscle of being able to go all the way to court and let a jury decide a just verdict, and the insurance companies know this. This allows you to focus on getting back to 100 percent.
Below are some mistakes you can avoid by having an experienced Bellingham personal injury lawyer by your side:
- Recorded statements – most claims adjusters try to push victims to give a recorded statement before a settlement is made. They will use anything you say out of context and use it against you to avoid paying your claim.
- Demanding too little or too much – the consequence of negotiating for too little is obvious. Especially if you settle without knowing the full extent of your injuries. On the flipside, just as damaging is demanding too much. To put it another way, if you don’t understand how personal injury claims are valued, you run the risk of losing your claim.
- The Insurance Company’s final offer – insurance companies, whether directly or indirectly, present their proposal as a final offer. People that try to negotiate themselves have no leverage, or knowledge of the intricacies for how these cases really work. Having a lawyer adept at negotiating for you, which understands the ins and outs of all aspects of your case will ensure you aren’t leaving money on the table. Money that can help pay for your time lost at work, medical bills, and more.
As mentioned, you can avoid these potential pitfalls by hiring a personal injury attorney to help with your case. You should focus on getting healthy and picking up the pieces of your life. You should not be spending hours haggling with the insurance company. Do not fall for their tricks and delay tactics. Let an experienced attorney advocate for you and fight back against insurance company games.
For more info, follow these links:
Video from Bill Coats Law YouTube Channel on advantages of hiring a Bellingham personal injury lawyer
Reasons to hire a personal injury lawyer – Findlaw